The California Highway Patrol is committed to reducing the amount of teen injury and fatal collisions that occur throughout California. In partnership with the California Office of Traffic Safety, the CHP has created the “Start Smart” Program, a teen driver safety class that empowers young persons and their parents to make the right decisions behind the wheel.
“Start Smart” teaches teens and their parents about safe driving habits, and informs them of the responsibilities and dangers associated with operating a motor vehicle. The goal of the class is to ensure that teens are safe, responsible drivers who are less likely to be involved in an injury or fatal collision in their future.
The month of April has been designated as “Distracted Driving Awareness Month” by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS). During this month, the
CHP will offer free “Start Smart” courses in several locations across the Bay Area. To attend an event, please call the number listed after the location to reserve your spot.
We ask that at least one parent or guardian attend with their teen driver.
- 04/02/2014 7 PM, San Ramon CA – 925-646-4980 Dougherty Valley Performing Arts Center, 10550 Albion Road, San Ramon CA
- 04/05/2014 10 AM, Sunol CA – 925-862-2223 Mission Grade Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Facility, Sunol CA
- 04/11/2014 6 PM, Hayward CA – 510-489-1500 Hayward CHP Office, 2434 Whipple Road, Hayward CA
- 04/28/2014 6 PM, Castro Valley CA – 510-581-9028 Castro Valley Library, 3600 Norbridge Avenue, Castro Valley CA
- 04/28/2014 6 PM, Hayward CA – 510-489-1500 Hayward CHP Office, 2434 Whipple Road, Hayward CA