.

Castro Valley Has New CHP Chief

Lieutenant Christopher Sherry is a 16-year CHP veteran and the fourth generation in his family to serve in Bay Area law enforcement.

 

Castro Valley has a new California Highway Patrol commander.

Effective August 31, Lieutenant Christopher Sherry replaced former Castro Valley commander Linda Franklin who was promoted to Captain and now oversees the Hayward Area office.  

The CHP has a unique mission in the Castro Valley area because it provides service, not only to motorists traveling on Interstate 580, but also to residents of unincorporated Alameda County. 

Over the past three years only 30% of fatal collisions within the CHP's Castro Valley area occurred on Interstate 580. The other 70% occurred in residential neighborhoods and on rural county roads.

The new commander said, contrary to some misconceptions, CHP does not write tickets to generate revenues, but to improve safety. (See additional statement.)

 

Lt. Sherry is a 16 year veteran of the CHP and the fourth generation of his family in Bay Area law enforcement. 

During his career, Lt. Sherry has served as Acting Commander of the Contra Costa and Hayward Area offices.  

In 2004, he became supervisor of the CHP's Judicial Protection Section, which protects justices of the California Supreme Court and California Court of Appeals.

He is looking forward to his new command. 

"The Castro Valley Area is a great place to live, work, and play," Lt. Sherry said. "This community is filled with such nice caring people."

He experienced that community support in his first week on the job when CHP Officer Kenyon Youngstrom was killed during a routine traffic stop.

"The public’s overwhelming response of cards, flowers, and financial contributions for his family was so generous," Lt. Sherry said.

He praised the officers under his command, saying he felt "blessed to work with such fine men and women."

Lt. Sherry is married and has two children. He is a graduate of California State University, Chico, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a Paralegal certificate. 

He is an Eagle Scout, and has been active volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America, youth sports, and men's ministries.

The new commander said he would focus on pedestrian safety, and minimizing fatal and injury collision violations like driving under the influence, speeding, and failure to use seatbelts. 

“I look forward to meeting citizens to hear their concerns and work together towards solutions,” he said.

What suggestions or gripes would you bring to Lt. Sherry's attention? 

Like Castro Valley Patch on Facebook | Follow Castro Valley Patch on Twitter | Get Free Castro Valley Patch Newsletters

Rob Phillips September 27, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Congratulations Lieutenant Sherry. It is comforting to know our streets are being protected by someone of your experience and sense of community.
john adamson September 27, 2012 at 04:06 PM
What services does CHP provide to the citizens of unincorporated Alameda County?
Dave Lyons September 28, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Congratulations, Chris, on your well deserved promotion! You have worked hard to earn this responsibility and the East Bay roads will be safer with you in charge! Dave Lyons
Brian & Jane Gordon September 28, 2012 at 05:00 AM
The CHP clearly made the right decision in selecting you as the Castro Valley Commander. And, we know that you will make the right decisions in protecting the Castro Valley community, and in supporting the men and women of the CHP. Congratulations to you and your family, Brian & Jane
Fred Baskin September 28, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Castro Valley residents and the team that comprises Chris' new station are very fortunate to have him in their area. Chis began his career in Ventura County. What impressed me about him was his cheerful personality, sense of dedication, his respect for the public, the energy he put into his job and his high level of honesty. Fred Baskin, #7259R
Mark Corsa September 28, 2012 at 03:54 PM
An outstanding selection. The Castro Valley community is very fortunate. Chris will bring to this position a commitment to service and will demonstrate a quality of character that few have. Chris Sherry is a man that I am sure the CHP is proud to have in a leadership role and that the community will soon appreciate. He is an outstanding man of integrity.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »