An 11-member citizens' panel has been named to oversee the BART police department.
The BART board of directors today approved the Citizen Review Board.
The group was selected from a pool of 40 candidates. After receiving training, they will listen to BART riders and provide input to BART officials about the agency's police officers.
The panel will report directly to the BART board.
Among their duties:
- Review and monitor changes to the system's police practices
- Review citizen complaints about police misconduct
- Advise the agency's general manager and police chief
- Meet periodically with BART police association members
The eleven members of the Citizen Review Board are:
- Angeli, Sue - Pleasant Hill (Police Union)
- Barnett, Peter D. - Oakland (District 4)
- Beshears, Sukari - Pittsburg (District 2)
- Douglas, Benjamin L. - Lafayette (District 1)
- Hambleton, Douglas N. - Danville (District 5)
- Jones, Ken, San Francisco (District 8)
- Kidd, Sharon Anne - Berkeley (District 7)
- Mensinger, Les - Fremont (District 6)
- Perezvelez, George D. - Berkeley (District 9)
- White, William C. - Oakland (District 3)
- Scaife, Jennifer - Berkeley (At Large)