Five Things Weekend Edition appears weekly on Castro Valley Patch. Leave tips for future Five Things in the comment section below.
1. Expecting a baby? On Saturday, Feb. 5, will host a childbirth preparation class from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The two-session course covers what to expect during childbirth. The interactive course covers third trimester fetal development, signs and symptoms of labor, stages of labor, delivery, postpartum recovery and caring for your newborn, progressive relaxation and breathing techniques. Bring two pillows and a notebook. Wear fitness attire.
2. Attend a free Lunar New Year celebration this Saturday, Feb. 5, at the (300 Estudillo Ave.) from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event is part of . It includes cultural dancers, a 10-year-old acclaimed Chinese opera singer, a magician, martial arts demonstrations and more. Food and drink can be purchased at the event.
3. The Hayward Area Historical Society (HAHS) is premiering a new program series this Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. called at Palma Ceia Baptist Church, 28605 Ruus Rd., Hayward. The series continues on the first Saturday of every month. In honor of Black History Month, the HAHS will feature a lecture and Q&A session with Regina Mason, a descendant of William Grimes, the man who published the first fugitive slave narrative in American history. Her book, Life of William Grimes, the Runaway Slave, will be available for purchase. Refreshments will be provided. Future “History Around Town” events will include workshops, lectures and concerts.
4. Winning Over Weight, a free weight loss group that meets at the (19230 Lake Chabot Rd.), offers support to those trying to lose some pounds. The group meets weekly on Saturdays from 10:30 to 11 a.m. Call 510-581-8377 for more information.
5. Head to Oakland this Sunday, Feb. 6, for free admission to the Oakland Museum of California, 1000 Oak St. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., get in free to view art, history and natural science exhibits. General admission tickets are administered on a first come, first served basis, so be sure to show up early. Tickets cannot be reserved in advance.